A postgraduate of the Royal College of Art where she had studied furniture design, Nazanin Kamali established Non Specific Creativity in the early 1990s; a multi-disciplined design collective that worked on a diverse variety of design projects ranging from restaurant design to art installations.
She later joined retail design company Aero as the creative director before setting up Newman + Kamali with Paul Newman in 2000 (which subsequently became iNK), designing and supplying retailers such as the Conran Shop, Heals, Crate & Barrel, SCP and John Lewis.
Nazanin Kamali's work included new product development and design, the refurbishment of Aero’s London stores and the exhibition design for the international design exhibitions Cologne, Frankfurt, New York and 100% Design London.
Whilst at Aero she also managed the entire merchandising operation of the business from the sourcing and buying-in of product right through to in store display and packaging. In 2000 she began a new venture, setting up Newman + Kamali in collaboration with Paul Newman and subsequently INK (Interior Newman and Kamali).
Since Nazanin Kamali began working with Case in 2005, she has produced a beautifully simplistic range of products including Omid and Loop. As a founding designer for Case Furniture her contemporary designs reflected the attention to precision detail found in Japanese arts, while her bespoke craft commissions are characterised by high levels of craftsmanship and intricate forms.
Who is Nazanin Kamali
Born in 1966, Kamali is a postgraduate of The Royal College of Art (1989-1991). She studied furniture design and upon graduation worked as a successful freelance designer before setting up Non Specific Creativity, a multi-disciplined design collective. Kamali cut her teeth at NSC working on a variety of design projects ranging from restaurant design to art installations.
Early collaboration in her career saw her work with brands such as Habitat, Harvey Nichols, Karen Millen, Global Village and Aero.
Currently, Kamali is Creative Director and designer at INK, designing and supplying retailers such as The Conran Shop, Heals, Crate & Barrel, Marks & Spencer, and the Futon Company.
The Celine desk has gently tapering conical legs which gives this piece a very dainty aesthetic. Combined with its small proportions and slim hidden drawer this desk is perfect for those tight on space.
Oki-Nami Light, 2008
Bespoke pendant lights in collaboration with Graphic Thought Facility for Oki-Nami restaurant
- Born in Iran
- Studied MA in furniture design at Royal College of Art
- Graduated from Royal College of Art
- Joined Aero to manage the merchandising and buying operation
- Set up Newman + Kamali and subsequently INK (Interior Newman and Kamali)
- Became founding designer for Case
- Design Plus Award for Paper Lights
- Design Plus Award for Aero bedroom
- Shortlisted FX Award (British American Racing)
- Good Design Award for Dish Rack
- Shortlisted Elle Decoration Award Best Bedroom Product for Loop Bed
- Grand Design Award Best Lighting Product for Omid
- Shortlisted Restaurant & Bar Design Award Best Seating Product for Okinami Chair
- Full name
- Nazanin Kamali
- 1966, Iran
- Eastbourne College of Art
- Alma mater
- Royal College of Art
- Product Designer
- Habitat, Harvey Nichols, Karen Millen, Global Village and Aero
- Known for
- Oki-Nami restaurant design